Gastric Sleeve Surgery is a relatively new bariatric procedure. It is becoming a superb weight loss surgery sleeve option. Seeing the preliminary results of this surgery, some doctors claim that in the future it may become a very common bariatric surgery if not, the most popular one. This procedure is also known by other names like Vertical Gastroplasty, Parietal Gastrectomy, Gastric Reduction, Greater Curvature Gastrectomy, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, and Sleeve Gastroplasty. This article discusses gastric sleeve surgery, how it works, some of the advantage and disadvantage to keep in mind when considering this procedure. Also, at the end, some hospital recommendations are provided.
Gastric Sleeve surgery procedure started in England in 2002 as a standalone weight loss procedure for anyone with a BMI greater than 35. It has proven to be quite safe and quite effective. The results have been very impressive as per other surgeons in the USA and other parts of the world, who performed this procedure since the first done in England. Traditionally this weight loss procedure has been performed as the first stage of a two-stage weight loss for super obese patients. Increasingly it is being adopted as a stand-alone surgery for lower BMI patients as well. In this bariatric surgery, the surgeon removes approximately 60 to 80 % of the stomach laparoscopically.
In the first stage of the operation, the surgeon creates a tube out of the stomach by using staples. The portion of the stomach which is stapled out is them removed. This results in a small sized stomach, which takes the shape of a “banana” or “sleeve” or a “tube.”
According to a published scientific research a hormone called “GHRELIN” makes people hungry, slows metabolism, and reduces the body’s ability to burn fat. This hormone is produced in the stomach. Gastric balloon review operation helps to remove the section of the stomach where there is production of Ghrelin. The non-production of this hunger relating hormone may lead to in prevention an increase in appetite.
Thus, sleeve surgery works in two ways to become an effective weight loss surgery. One by reducing the stomach size to accommodate excess food and secondly, reducing the hormones that create a craving for food. This is the reason gastric sleeve surgery is believed to be superior to many doctors.
Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- May lead to 30 to 60% of weight loss in a period 12 months after the operation.
- Less invasive than gastric bypass and does not result in altering or cutting of the intestines.
- No dumping syndrome associated with gastric sleeve.
- Malabsorption is not as is in the case of gastric bypass surgery. The patient does not need too many nutritional supplements compared to ones who have a gastric bypass.
- No foreign device is in the body, unlike an LAP-BAND.
- Gastric sleeve operation is said to be less risky for patients with high BMI.
- Better for patients with prior surgery or complex medical conditions.
- After the surgery most food items can be consumed. Although in small quantities.
- Another type of weight loss surgery if required can still be performed following a Gastric Sleeve procedure.
Disadvantages of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- In the relatively new procedure, there is no long-term scientific study. Even though preliminary outcomes are very promising.
- Once performed this procedure cannot be reversed.
- Experienced surgeons can sometimes be difficult to find, that again due to this being a new procedure.
- Some insurance companies do not cover gastric sleeve surgery.
A high-quality hospital might be a better choice for getting gastric sleeve surgery than going to a surgery center or a clinic. In rare case of an emergency or medical complication, a hospital is better equipped with all medical specialist, medical equipment and services like blood bank, MRI, X-RAY, etc. at the same location. Look for hospitals that are accredited and certified by leading third party organizations. This increases the chance of stricter enforcement of high-quality standards and client service. This finally results in patient safety and convenience.
Medical Tourism facilitates low-cost, high-quality gastric sleeve surgery at one of the best hospitals in the world. These include USA Joint Commission accredited hospitals in Costa Rica, India, and Mexico.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Cost
There are Medical Tourism experts who facilitate surgery and medical treatment abroad. Bariatric surgery like a gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, mini gastric bypass and lap gastric banding are some of the weight loss surgery that are offered at a cheap price compared to the US and Europe. Besides obesity surgery treatments, Medical Tourism Corporation connects patients to world best hospitals for orthopedics, neurosurgery (spinal and brain), cardiac and cosmetic procedures.
Always check with a qualified physician before making a health-related or gastric sleeve procedure related decision